Friday, November 28, 2008

Topic - Based Curriculum

I am currently teaching Social Studies 9 as designed by the Ministry. I am becoming more and more frustrated with the 'wish-washy' nature of the course. The course is designed with entirely thematic units bearing such obtuse titles as "Change", "Time", and "Causality". I tried to follow the guide, I really did, but alas, I have deviated significantly. Rather than teaching flowery concepts, I have decided to teach ancient history. This has resulted in a fairly dramatic deviation from the curriculum guide. I have come to loath "Social Studies" because of the inherent vagueness. It is supposed to be a fusion of sociology, history, geography, phsychology, geology, and language arts, but this seems a lofty goal. In attempting to accomplish a great deal of conceptual learning, much is lost. Having taught History 10, 20, and 30, I can attest to the fact that students are not keenly aware of causality, change, time, sociology, psychology, or any of the other themes or concepts as articulated in Social Studies 9. I would like to see a directional shift toward more of a topic - based approach. I remember discussing topic-based curricula in North Battleford and immediately thinking about my SS 9 course. Topic-based curricula make the purpose of the course more clear and make evaluation more accurate. In making goals simpler and more attainable, you actually accomplish more. I think Tyler would approve.

No comments: